- choice of fabrics & stablizers, measurement of each (length & width), possible alternates
- selection of embellishments (trims, beads, etc), identification of each one used, its length, size or quantity
- each tool used is catalogued
- every single step required to construct the project is written down
- photos are taken at every step along the way for inclusion in the pattern instructions
- certain steps simply do not show well in a photo so detailed diagrams must be drawn to supplement the written instruction
All the recorded information is then typed up, photos are re-sized & checked for clarity, supplementary diagrams drawn, various layouts (cutting, page, pattern assembly) included. All of these elements are "stitched" together to form a PDF file. The draft is printed & proofed before publication.
This is a rather time consuming process, particularly logging each step & photo taking. If only it could be done as quickly as describing it...